1. Generosity (May I be generous and helpful)
- Giving of Wealth – Donations, Human resources such as skills, time and energy.
- Giving of Protection – To use encouraging words & actions, providing empathy & listening ear, or timely physical help & support in order to remove the insecurities, worries, and fears of others.
- Giving of Teaching – The highest form of teaching is the Dharma, which can help people find lasting happiness and liberation.
2. Morality (May I be pure and virtuous)
By performing volunteer duties via wholesome speech, action & thoughts to benefit others and refraining from creating any unwholesome speech, action and thought, you are practicing morality.
3. Patience (May I be patient and be able to bear and forbear the wrongs of others)
Challenging situations may arise while performing your volunteer duties. When we maintain our mindfulness, be understanding and be patient with whatever difficult situations or people we are facing, we are practicing patience.
4. Effort (May I be energetic and persevering)
Enthusiastic effort is the joy that arises from deep within us when we are doing what is wholesome. It is refreshing and inspiring and enables us to keep going when we feel tired or overwhelmed.
5. Meditative Concentration (May I practice meditation and attain concentration and oneness to serve all beings)
We could gain Meditative Concentration when we mindfully perform our volunteer duties. As a result, our minds will become calmer and less agitated.
6. Wisdom (May I gain wisdom and be able to give the benefit of my wisdom to others)
We practice using wisdom to understand situation clearly, and hence be able to come up with the best solution help a person or resolve situations, based on whatever resources that is available to us.